Friday 27 May 2016

Back to blocks

I haven't sewn any patchwork blocks for ages, or at least that is what it seems like to me. So, in an effort to remedy that and make some progress on a longstanding UFO, I dug out my scraps and set to work.

One of the first Bees that I signed up for was the Sunday Morning Quilts Bee, based on the book of the same name by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison. For the first round of the Bee we made 12.5" slab blocks in various colours.


So, I duly sent off my blocks every month and received back blocks like these


and these.

In the end I had 14 blocks in 7 colourways, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, Pink and Orange, which sat in my cupboard, whilst I thought about what to do with them.

Well, the time for thinking was over!

I decided that 14 blocks weren't enough to make a quilt top, I needed another two blocks to make a 4x4 arrangement. As I didn't have aqua blocks and had lots of aqua scraps it seemed like a good idea to put the two together :)

The final two blocks for the Sunday Morning Stash quilt!

Next up, to decide on the layout. After a few false starts this is what I ended up with


I wasn't sure how all of the blocks would look, and was a bit concerned that there might be too much going on in the quilt top but, actually, I think it has worked out fine in the end. There are enough "quiet spaces" in the top that it hasn't ended up a headache inducing mish mash, well not to me at least :)

Now all I need to do is decide how to quilt it!

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts and


16 comments:

  1. What a fun, bright, happy quilt -- love it! (visiting from TGIFF)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely rainbow, it's so happy. It's beautiful Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these blocks go so well together lovely, you have reminded me I have Amanda`s book must have a read, I have loads of books do not spend enough time looking at them which is silly as they are full of inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. I did mine in a similar fashion, even making two aqua blocks as well. I use it all the time and I love the bright colors. That was a great bee. It really lends itself to all over quilting in any motif. Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, Fiona - a good mix of bright and subdued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fab Fiona and the upside down mirror reversal works brilliantly. What are you backing it with?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks really pretty and works really well together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love scrap blocks, and rainbows - this is gorgeous! My scraps are actually sorted by colour because that's exactly the kind of project I like to do with them - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you laid out the blocks. It helps give it some order. A very fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it very much! When I finish scrap vortex, I may try something more organized like this. You really balanced the colors beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! I think it works partly because the scraps are all grouped by colour, which helps to calm it a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...