Saturday 25 July 2015

Celebrating the New - A colourful canvas

Welcome to another New to Me Link Party!

It's that time of the month where we celebrate the trying, if not the succeeding at trying something new in the month.

My New to Me activities were very thin on the ground this month, I have only one to report!

The June meeting of my local Embroiderers Guild was a full-day workshop with the very talented Beryl Frank. Beryl is a quilter but our project for the workshop was a counted canvas piece based upon a swatch of Kaffe Fassett fabric, it sounded like fun!


This is one of the examples that Beryl brought along to demonstrate what she planned for us, the photo does not do the intensity of the colours justice at all.

Having never attempted counted canvaswork before there was a steep learning curve involved for me :) Needless to say the stitching was nowhere near finished by the end of the workshop!

However, I can happily report that I have now finished the canvas centre for my piece, as you can see below.



I was lucky enough to find the perfect beads lurking in a nearly hidden basket at my local quilt shop, as I was struggling to work out the sizes that I needed when I tried to order them online. Bead sizes in millimetres mean nothing to a girl raised in feet and inches :)

There were some definitely New to Me stitches in this, Woven Rice Stitch (the centre and corners) and Mosaic Stitch (the orange border) being ones I had never even heard of before, never mind stitched :)


Next up, I have to take a deep breath and make the fabric mount for the canvas centre with the fabric you can see above. An iron and Bondaweb is involved so it could all go pear-shaped from here on in!


So, that's my New to Me activities this month, now it is your turn.

As ever please help to spread the word by linking back to this post in your post and/or adding the blog button to your sidebar.



Check out the other links too and, maybe, leave an encouraging comment along the way. The emphasis of this link party is to celebrate the trying of something new, whether it works out exactly as planned or not, so a little encouragement here and there would not go amiss! 

The link will remain open until 23.59GMT on July 31st, so you have some time to try something new and link up and join the party :) If your New to Me involves a Christmas in July project then don't forget to link up to this month's Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew Link Party too, you could just win a mini charm pack for your efforts :)



You will find the Ho, Ho, Ho and On We Sew Link Party this month at Weekend Doings and Patch the Giraffe

Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to this month!



Linking up to

Stitcher Link Party Button

12 comments:

  1. Your counted canvas work is excellent and has encouraged me to get back to the art...haven't done any in over 20 years. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a lovely piece and do so like the idea of using fabric as an inspiration then using it in the finished peice. After hardanger canvas work is my favourite form of embroidery but since I discovered quilting have not done any, maybe it is time I had another go and like you added fabric

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done counted canvas work either. I'm impressed by yours, especially as you are working your own design. Great beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your piece is very pretty. I went through a time when I was working of always having a counted cross stitch ( in USA) that I was working on. It was relaxing for me to work on after a long day working at the nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a pretty technique. The finished product will surely make you smile every time you walk by. The fabric looks happy. : ) Janita

    ReplyDelete
  6. The example piece looks great and yours is coming on beautifully. I like the idea of combining the stitching with a print fabric : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! A lot of work I'm sure but certainly looks well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your counted canvaswork piece turned out very pretty! I tried this many years ago but it's something I discovered that I don't have the patience for... so I just admire the work of others.

    I'd love to have you come link up this post to this week's Stitchery Link Party. http://www.supermomnocape.com/2015/07/27/vintage-embroidery-monday-stitchery-link-party-16/

    I haven't done any "new to me" this month, but the month's not over so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Counted canvaswork has enormous potential for interesting patterns - will you be exploring further?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What s great combination of crafts - gorgeous colours, I'm sure it'll look fab when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my your stitched piece is beautiful - the colours are so rich - a perfect New To You project :) I think maybe counted canvaswork might be similar to counted cross-stitch, only you use more decorative stitching than just the basic crosses. I used to do a lot of ccs, and tried to sneak the occasional decorative stitch into my projects when I remembered :D At this point, though, my eyes and fingers are cranky and crotchety so fine stitching like that isn't happening any more :D

    I've managed to get some sewing done in the last while, although I haven't blogged. This week I worked on a new to me tutorial - a kids' wallet - I made 5 of them for Christmas gifts (and have more kitted to finish). It's just been so hot outside that I'm enjoying spending my time in my nice cool basement with my sewing machine :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful stitch....the colour is excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...