Monday 5 January 2015

To market, to market

I realised when I was going through my post list that I had forgotten to post pictures of our Christmas Market trip to Aachen, so whilst we are still (just) in the festive season I thought I would give you a quick glimpse of the trip.

We picked Aachen in Germany as our destination as we were all keen to travel by train, via the Eurostar, rather than fly. Train travel means no hassle with baggage allowances, no 2 hour check-ins and we get to start off our journey in style with some of this!

Instagram photo by celticthistle - Champagne at St Pancras ready for our Christmas Market trip to Aachen #StPancras 

Eurostar journeys from St Pancras always start off with a glass or two in the Champagne Bar :)

Having decided upon the destination purely and simply on the travelling time and number of market stalls, we had no idea that Aachen was such a lovely and interesting city, 

So, as well as admiring giant versions of the gingerbread that Aachen is famous for,


 and purchasing some of the same at the Market stalls



along with the odd glass of Gluhwein! (I can heartily recommend the Gluhwein with Amaretto, it is delicious!)

Adding to the collection

We were amazed by the glory of Aachen Cathedral,

Aachen Market Square

coronation church of more than 30 German Kings and the burial site of Charlemagne, so you can understand why it is such an impressive building.

Inside as well as out!

Just across the square was the just as impressive Town Hall, home to the coronation banquets between 936 and 1531.

Aachen Town Hall

They certainly don't build them like this anymore, do they?

As you can probably tell, we had a wonderful weekend in Aachen and would definitely recommend a visit if you ever get the chance, especially at Christmas time. Well, Gingerbread, Gluhwein and Glorious Architecture, not to mention German efficiency :) What more could you ask for in a weekend trip?


Paula and I have decided that we liked being organised for Christmas so much in 2014 that we are going to host our year-round Christmas Link Party again in 2015. We have a couple of slots free for guest hosts, so if you would like to take part just let us know, and we can give you all the details.

Look out for the first post here on January 18th.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your trip pics, they're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that architecture, so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Champagne bars and giant gingerbread men - I'm in! :D

    I'm glad you're doing Ho Ho Ho again - it was fantastic last year for keeping me on my toes! I'm looking forward to another year of ho ho ho-ing :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a very interesting town to visit, mind you I do not even have a passport so not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the giant gingerbread is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great destination for Christmas market shopping! You didn't show us any purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Market shopping, wine and gingerbread - sounds fabulous. An historic and interesting town just tops it off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a perfect pre-Christmas trip. And I'm so glad you're going to carry on with 'Ho, ho, ho', I need it! It will be especially helpful this year since I can start right from January! And if you still have any slots for guest hosts, I'd love to give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a great time. I was lucky to be sent to Hamburg with work before Christmas and had fun wandering around the Christmas market buying decorations for the tree!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...