Thursday 3 April 2014

Yorkshire - God's Own County!

We recently celebrated my husband's birthday with a family weekend in Yorkshire, and had a lovely time visiting some of the "Jewels in the Crown" of "God's own County" as it is sometimes known as. Yorkshire folk are nothing if not proud of their roots :)




We stayed in this village called Sutton on the Forest, which was mentioned in the Domesday Book, so has been around for rather a long time!



Walking to the local pub, as you do, we came across this plant stall which had, amongst its other offerings, some Yorkshire rhubarb for sale.

Yorkshire is famous for its rhubarb, and has the growing area known as the Rhubarb Triangle within its boundaries. Forced rhubarb which is grown in sheds and picked by candlelight is a delicacy prized by many, although perhaps like mushrooms it is best not to dwell too much on what the rhubarb is growing in! The euphemistically named "night soil" covers a multitude of sins :)

Apparently you can hear the rhubarb popping as it grows, and you can even take tours of the candlelit sheds! You live and learn :)

York is also famous for its Minster, one of the largest Gothic cathedrals of Northern Europe.



The Minster has had its fair share of damage and destruction throughout the years and even as recently as 1984 was hit by a lightning strike, which destroyed a large part of the roof. On a sunny Spring day though it is the most beautiful building to see and contemplating the work involved in building it just takes your breath away.

Another thing that would definitely take my breath away, would be riding around the Yorkshire Dales on a bicycle! No such problem though for the professional cyclists who will be tearing around those hills and dales when the Tour de France takes a detour through Yorkshire this summer. In case you are wondering what this has got to do with anything, have a look at this.

TourdeYorkshire


A challenge to create a sewn block relating to York/shire and cycling! How could I resist ??

Linking up to

Really Random

18 comments:

  1. Looks like you had gorgeous weather for your trip; your photos are full of pretty light. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, rhubarb! People down here don't appreciate it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that explains my Dad's obsession with Rhubarb!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you certainly picked a pretty part of Yorkshire for your weekend. I am in theYorkshire modern quilt group and we have been asked to do a piece based on wheels for the tour de France still not come up with a n idea yet but have till june so maybe I will get something done

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting facts about rhubarb, especially the picking at night by candlelight. If All Creatures Great and Small is anything to go by, the Yorkshire Dales is a beautiful place... so, so green. I look forward to seeing what you sew for the Yorkshire / cycling block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely weekend away.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. A delightful travelogue - thank you. I look forward to seeing your Yorkshire Cycling Block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore rhubarb! Yummy. Thanks again for the vicarious travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures and about your trip. Yorkshire looks like a beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you intersperse your travelogues with your quilting. And your photos are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband is from Yorkshire and yes he is rather proud of it! He also cycles and has just done the C2C (again!) so I can't wait to see your Yorkshire/cycling block.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was at school a friends dad worked for the milk marketing board, and was involved in the milk race, and I went with them one year: beautiful countryside

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being a Yorkshire Lass me-self, all I can say is Hear Hear!! Would love to see your Yorkshire + Cycling Block! Judging from your other posts, it will be completely stunning like the rest of your work. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness Fiona this is lovely. Makes me want to visit someday. The thought of rhubarb is making my mouth water. Mine is popping it's little head out of the ground... might have to go try and listen and see if I can hear the 'pop' :) And the bicycling bit.... I will be paying more attention this year when my husband is watching the Tour de France :) Can't wait to see your little sewing treasure. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  16. We'll there you go...my husband is a Tour de France tragic and he didn't know it was going through Yorkshire this year. I told him something new! My ancestors didn't emigrate from Yorkshire to Australia, Devon, but a saying in my family has always been welcome to Gods own Country.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...