Friday 25 November 2016

Old and New in New to Me

Welcome to November's New to Me Link Party, where we celebrate our attempts at new things, whether successful or not!


My New to Me's this month are a very mixed bag :)

I contributed a New round-up of tutorials for Gifts that are Easy to Ship for the Sew Mama Sew Handmade Holidays series. Check them out here if you haven't already, you may see some names in there that are familiar!

A new sponsor of the Ho, Ho, Ho Giveaway Prize.

Head on over to Karen at Practically Pippy to link up your Christmas makes this month to be in with a chance of winning the gorgeous bundle of FQ's from Lewis and Irene's Northern Lights collection generously donated by Justine. Check out Karen's great Quilted Christmas Wreath pillow too whilst you are there :)



Last month I visited an exhibition by the Ayrshire Quilters, one of whose quilts you can see above, and this month I joined the group for the first time. I was introduced to the group by Sheila, who blogs as Bluepatch Quilter. It was lovely to meet in real life someone that I have only encountered virtually before!

Another new tutorial added to the blog. This time it was for a Christmas Pudding Wreath, and I got the chance to incorporate some lovely vintage lace into a project for the first time too!



Definitely not vintage is my next New to Me! I suspect that I am not the only one who struggles with carrying all of the paraphernalia needed for a quilt class, so when I saw this handy portable ruler set on Massdrop I couldn't resist. I love my Karen Kay Buckley applique scissors so I am sure that this ruler will become one of my favourite tools. 

My final New to Me for the month is way out of my comfort zone :)



The deadline is looming for the handover of the charity quilts I and my fellow quilters are making in my Thursday patchwork class. I have had the quilt top finished for ages but hadn't made up my mind how to quilt it when I came across a magazine article on Tied Quilting. So I thought that I would give it a go. The quilt is backed with a check wool so with wadding it is quite thick and seemed to be an ideal candidate for my first attempt at Tied Quilting.
So far, I am enjoying it but will let you know if that is still the case by the time the top is quilted!

That's my New to Me's for November, now it is your turn to link up and celebrate the trying of something new. Of course it would be nice if our something New's were successful, but you are amongst friends here. We know that it isn't always the case so, hey, we are here to celebrate anyway the fact that we tried :)

As ever please help to spread the word by linking back to this post in your post and/or adding the blog button to your sidebar.




Celtic Thistle Stitches



Check out the other links too and, maybe, leave an encouraging comment along the way. The emphasis of this link party is to celebrate the trying so a little encouragement here and there would not go amiss! 
The link will remain open until 23.59GMT on November 30th, so you have some time yet to try something new and link up and join the party :)









4 comments:

  1. Good for you on ALL of your new to me items - I'm particularly pleased about your Sew Mama Sew new to me accomplishment - you deserve that honour!

    I don't have any real new to me finishes for this month (yet?) - I did several new (so so simple) puppet designs, but they're not really ... you know what ... I wasn't going to post them but now that I'm thinking about it, I think I will. I know they're simple but I try to do a really nice job on them, and I think they worked out well. Yes, indeed, I think I'll post them, lol. I've bought several new patterns this month that I haven't gotten to yet but maybe I can give myself the time to play with something new when I get the Must Do sewing done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have been busy, are the rulers the ones that fold up I wonder. Will be interesting to see how the tied quilting goes not tried it myself but tempted to on the bigger quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried tied quilting, so very interested to see how you find the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great new to mes. I love your pudding wreath :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...