Tuesday 13 October 2015

The missing mojo

I am not quite sure where my sewing mojo has disappeared to recently, but it definitely hasn't been in this neck of the woods for a while!

My poor sewing machine hasn't had so much dust gathering on it since it was sitting in a store room waiting to be picked off the shelf :(

Whilst the sewing machine has been sitting idle, there has been a (little!) bit of hand stitching going on.

On our cruise last year, we spent a day in Bar Harbor in Maine, and naturally I checked out the local quilting shop, Fabricate.


 Needless to say I did not leave empty-handed!


One of the things I bought was a kit for an embroidered sampler quilt based on the wonderful lighthouses to be found in that part of the world. It seemed like a very appropriate souvenir to bring back from a cruise.

The block above is the first of the nine embroidery blocks to be completed. Hopefully, the remainder will not be as slow in the making.

The other hand-stitching project is also a sampler quilt block, from the quilt class that I have been attending for the past year and a bit.  So, this is not the fastest project on the planet either! In my defence with this block, this is my second attempt at the stained glass window applique.


There were raw edges still visible in places in the first attempt at this block, which the more I looked at them the more apparent they became. So I eventually bit the bullet and started the block all over again. It is definitely better this time, although still not perfect. Hopefully any problems will be overcome when it is quilted :)

This is the final block of the sampler, so when I eventually come across that missing mojo, I might even manage to start quilting them.

If you find that missing mojo, you know where to send it!

Linking up to

Quilter in the Closet

14 comments:

  1. I love that quilt block - stunning! Whilst you may be able to spot some imperfections, I can't see any at all - it looks perfect and fiendishly difficult to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not had much urge recently either, but I'm loving your creations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer swallows up my mojo. Yesterday and today I did some mindless sewing of sewing scraps into log cabin slabs. It is making me want to GET THEM DONE so I can move on to something else. They are not the prettiest thing I have done. But conglomerated together they seem to work.

    Stained glass is tricky. I had the same problem as you. Love your stitching. Look forward to seeing the finished quilt.
    Setting the timer and working for 30 minutes seems to help me get the mojo flowing again.
    Happy day to you. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your lighthouse and your stained glass block is stunning. I hope your mojo comes back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sewing like anything in life is something we do need a break from so we can come back to it recharged and full of enthusiasm. I think your stained glass appliqué block looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous stained glass block Don't panic about the lost sewing mojo. It'll return when it's ready. Just close the door to your sewing room and busy yourself with other things. You'll soon get itching to sew again

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mojo is a funny old thing isn't it, it disappears when we want it and quietly comes back when we least expect it! Hope yours puts in an appearance soon.
    The stained glass window block looks great, I do like this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. maybe it is the time of year I too have not felt like getting the machine out. Hand stitching like you has helped to get me going, doing a similar project to you but with houses called home and hearts but leaving the hearts off! Have 4 of the 9 blocks done. Well impressed with your stained glass it is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stained glass window applique is STUNNING, Fiona!!! I love it. The mojo will return. In the meantime, just keep hand sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to take a break sometimes. The stained glass window looks completely amazing though. And hopefully some slow embroidery will keep you sewing a little bit xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous stained window block Fiona!!! I bet your quilt will be amazing!!! Maybe you haven't been seeing but it sounds like you have been enjoying life!! Hope your boys and their families are well and it was good to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's hanging out with my mojo, mine hasn't been sighted for months. The lighthouse is cute, I've heard that they have special lighthouses in that area so i'll be interested to see the other blocks. Love the stained glass block.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your stained glass block, we all deserve a holiday - it'll come back when its run out of funds! Seriously when I'm in a sewing funk I usually re-organise my stash or make a bee block - gets me moving again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That lighthouse quilt will be a wonderful reminder of your cruise! Hubby's grandfather and one of his uncles was a lighthouse keeper, so he has childhood of memories of playing in the fog with the foghorn going and "helping" in the lighthouse.

    Your stained glass quilt block looks lovely. If there are imperfections, I certainly can't see them.

    Thanks so much for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party and for including the link party button in your post. Aloha hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...