Sunday 25 October 2015

New to Me in October

Welcome to another New to Me monthly Link Party.

This is our chance to celebrate the trying of new activities, whether we are successful or not!

My New to Me this month has been over two years in the making! It was just over two years ago that I visited an exhibition of needlework at a local church, where I discovered that the exhibits were all projects completed by participants in a weekly embroidery class. You will, no doubt, not be surprised to know that I put my name down on the waiting list for the class. After a few months without any response I naturally forget all about the list and the classes, so you can imagine my surprise earlier this month when I received a call to tell me that I was now top of the list and a place had just come vacant!

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with information, mostly from me along the lines of "what exactly did I put my name down for again?" I set off for my first class a couple of weeks ago.

The other members of the class are all working on the most amazing projects, but like all of them before I have started with this stitch sampler. The stem stitch and french knots above were not New to Me, but fly stitch was a new stitch in my repertoire. Since then I have also added bullion knots to the repertoire, although they definitely need a bit more practice :)

Embroidery featured in my other New to Me this month, in my Christmas Ornament Card.

 Not only did I get a chance to practice that fly stitch for the bird tracks and my french knot for the robin, but I also used Lutradur for the first time as the base fabric for the machine embroidery.

So that's my New to Me's for this month, now it is your turn to link up and share your successes or failures as we celebrate the trying of something new.

As ever please help to spread the word by linking back to this post in your post and/or adding the blog button to your sidebar.



Check out the other links too and, maybe, leave an encouraging comment along the way. The emphasis of this link party is to celebrate the trying of something new, whether it works out exactly as planned or not, so a little encouragement here and there would not go amiss! 

The link will remain open until 23.59GMT on October 31st, so you have some time to try something new and link up and join the party :)




If your New to Me involves a Christmas or Holiday project then don't forget to link up to this month's Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew Link Party too, you could just win 3F8ths of these gorgeous Liberty fabrics courtesy of Sarah at Duck Egg Threads for your efforts :)



You will find the Ho, Ho, Ho and On We Sew Link Party this month at Sandra Sews
and Ella and Nesta's Little Room

Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to this month!




4 comments:

  1. your patience has paid off and now you are embroidering. Have you seen Sharon Boggin`s site pintangle, she gives a new embroidery stitch every week with full instructions. She is also about to publish a book on crazy quilting. I have got my stitch magazine out but so far not tried the lutrador, really must get my act together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't managed to do anything new yet this month (that I can remember, anyways, LOL) - I still have almost a week though, and I have something in mind :D

    How funny that you were finally called for the class so long after you signed up - my mind would have gone a bit crackly trying to remember what I had signed up for, getting a call like that out of nowhere, LOL. Good for you learning new embroidery stitches - I ask my friend to do bits and pieces of embroidery for me when I need it - I do her zippers, she does my embroidery - it works well for both of us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a long time to wait ... I love embroidery. Very cute embroidered picture but I'm going to Google Lutrador as I've not a clue what it is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...