Sunday 18 October 2015

Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew - first card!

Welcome to another month of the Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew Link Party, only two more Link Parties to go before December 25th- just saying!!!

So, if you haven't already started your Christmas and Holiday crafting then now would definitely be a good time to start. As ever we have more great tutorials to provide you with inspiration. This month we have not one but two guest hosts, the Novelty Pouch Factory aka Sandra, who blogs at Sandra Sews :) and the Italian family team of Nesta and Ella, who blog at Ella and Nesta's Little Room so double the inspiration :)

If you need a bit more than inspiration to kickstart your crafting then, of course, there is another wonderful giveaway to tempt you too.

Last month's giveaway of a Skinny Dips bundle from Plush Addict was won by Pam, who blogs at Threading My Way.  This month we have a treat in store for fans of Liberty Fabric.




The giveaway prize for one lucky linker is 3xF8th's of these gorgeous Liberty fabrics, donated by the lovely Sarah of Duck Egg Threads
(Link up now closed, next link up  18th monthly)
If you haven't come across Sarah's fabulous online store before, you are in for a real treat. From the beautifully photographed fabrics to the well-curated range of sewing notions, it is a joy to shop in.

My Christmas crafting this month was the result of a flick through my recently arrived copy of Stitch, the magazine for the Embroiderer's Guild.



 A set of textile art kits from Angie Attwood Textiles caught my eye and a couple of clicks later were winging their way towards me. Isn't online shopping wonderful :) ???

The Winter Wonderland kits were for Freehand Machine Embroidered ornaments, which could also be attached to the front of a card blank. Every January I think that this year I will make my own Christmas cards, for immediate family at least, and every December I decide that I have run out of time. This year might however be the exception to the rule.

 I give you in evidence my first Machine Embroidered Christmas card!

The trees are Freehand Machine Embroidered on Lutradur, which I had never used before. It looks like medium-weight interfacing with a slight sparkle but was sturdy enough to be fed through the machine without the need for a hoop. The heavier snow effect at the bottom of the hoop is from two pieces of Lutradur bonded together with double-sided fusible interfacing. The bird's feet marks in the snow and the robin in the tree were hand-embroidered and the whole circle was attached to a felt backing with a blanket stitch binding.

It was a really straightforward make and would be a good introduction to Freehand Machine Embroidery if you have never tried it before. With the addition of some appropriate lettering on the front I think it will be good to go.

I really enjoyed making this, so maybe my sewing mojo is on its' way back from that extended holiday! Here's hoping  :)

There are three kits in the package so more opportunity to practice that FME before those last posting dates become an issue!

If you have made any Christmas or Holiday gifts or Home Decorations this month head on over to Sandra Sews :) or Ella and Nesta's Little Room  to link them up and you might be the lucky winner of that bundle of gorgeous Liberty fabric, you know it would be a great addition to your stash :)
The Link Party will remain open until the end of the month so you have plenty of time to get crafting!


As ever, these lovely sponsors deserve a big thank you for their generous support of the link party.









Crafty Trimmings

http://www.patchworkelephant.com/



Logo Sew Hot



Plush Addict Logo





Quilting Fabric at the Fat Quarter Shop

Linking up to

Sew the Library at Weekend Doings

12 comments:

  1. seeing what you have done with the lutrador is inspiring, have some somewhere and must get my stitch magazine out to have another look, I buy the magazines, have a look through then tend to file them, maybe today I will have a good browse as still sewing machine not repaired just as well I have lost interest in stitching at the moment|!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Lutradur, Fiona. Something to check out. The card looks so effective with the contrasting blanket stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your FME ornament. Very effective technique to make such a lovely decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I really like stitched cards - great idea for Christmas makes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful card, a really wonderful first effort at freehand machine embroidery. I love making Christmas cards each year, but this is something I have yet to try. I must admit I never make very many though as I find that unfortunately other than a few immediate family members many of the people I know really don't appreciate handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of Lutradur either. It's very interesting that it has a see through effect. I love how you've used it. It's a card that can become a Christmas tree decoration! Your FMQ gives a very good snow effect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of Lutradur either. It's very interesting that it has a see through effect. I love how you've used it. It's a card that can become a Christmas tree decoration! Your FMQ gives a very good snow effect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking fab! Off to follow the links x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how fast the year went by. Your card is beautiful and looks absolutely perfect. I think on the first try you have become a pro at freehand machine embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I subscribe to stitch and loved those ornaments too. Yours looks fantastic and it's interesting you say it's a good project for a beginner as i thought that ine looked really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I subscribe to stitch and loved those ornaments too. Yours looks fantastic and it's interesting you say it's a good project for a beginner as i thought that ine looked really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That card looks gorgeous and I love the robin one too, a great idea, and I'm sure whoever is lucky enough to receive them will be very impressed. Glad there are signs of a return of that sewing mojo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...