Friday 24 January 2014

Clamshell Clutch

I really intended to make a clutch bag for my daughter-in-law to be for Christmas but sadly never found the time. However, the Ho,Ho,Ho and on We Sew Link party launch seems like the perfect time to remedy that omission :)






I have had this clamshell clutch frame in my cupboard for ages and had already cut into the fabric for it when putting together one of Scrappy Trip Around the World blocks.

STAW Rd3 Hive 7 Block 2

So, really it was about time that I knuckled down and made the bag before I found other uses for the fabric.

Lisa has instructions for covering the clamshell frame, so I downloaded them and set to work. I didn't have the glue that Lisa recommended for attaching the fabric to the shell, but hoped that Modge Podge would work just as well. I did have the Gutermann glue that Lisa recommends for attaching the shell to the frame, as I have used this several times in the past.

Clamshell Clutch1


And here it is! The fabric is "in crowd" by Alexander Henry. The clutch only needs two pieces of fabric 6" x 9" for the exterior and two more for the interior, so it would be ideal for that last scrap of a treasured fabric too.

Clamshell Clutch inner


I lined the clutch purse with some 1001 Peeps fabric that I have been hoarding for ages but that really deserved to be used!

As you can see the clutch frame can also have a chain added and fortunately I had a 24" chain lurking in my cupboard too.

Clamshell with chain

So I now have two Christmas presents neatly tucked away for this year. If I keep this up I will be so organised in December I won't know what to do with myself :)

If you would like to be that organised too, join Paula at Mud, Pies and Pins and myself at our monthly link party. You can link up any Christmas or Holiday projects that you have made this month over at Mud, Pies and Pins and be in with a chance of winning the Ornamental and Sew Seasonal pattern bundle from Quiet Play and Blossom Heart Quilts. There are 25 great patterns in the bundle so that should be plenty enough to tackle throughout the year. Paula also has a great tutorial for quick and easy decorations to tuck away for the Holiday season too. The Link party will remain open until the end of the month so there is still time to link up and win those patterns!

Linking up this finish to Crazy Mom Quilts




Linking up this finish to Crazy Mom Quilts

By Stephanie Lynn
ChrisW Designs


15 comments:

  1. That's beautiful Fiona. Love the fabric choices. Was it easy to assemble? My husband finds it quite funny that I generally can't do the final assembly of purse frames without a second pair of hands to either keep bits out of the way of the glue or to hold glued bits in place while I fiddle with the rest! I've seen those clamshell frames on Lisa's site and thought abut ordering one .. I may just be going to treat myself this afternoon. Shhh ... don't tell anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Fiona, thought the fabric was great in the Scrappy Trip block but this purse is just perfect :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great use for that lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are on a roll! Awesome clutch!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat! It looks like perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks very cool. Great job and excellent fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The clutch looks great and I cannot believe you are already making Christmas presents! Are you the most organised person in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the clutch it simply looks classy and professional !! - Diya TheHobbyHarbor

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks so great - I especially love the purple lining :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fabric is perfect for a clutch purse, Fiona!!! I avoid glue at all costs, as I make a real mess and I just know I wouldn't have enough hands to hold everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's such a neat purse! Congrats on making two presents already :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so adorable! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...