Thursday 17 January 2013

TGIFF! - Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday

Welcome to TGIFF! I am delighted to be hosting this week's round-up of finishes.

If you are new to my corner of blogland, welcome and feel free to have a nose around. If you are a regular reader pick yourself up off the floor I actually have a finished quilt to share with you!

This quilt was originally intended to be a present for my mum's birthday - last June! So it is a bit overdue to say the least. There is nothing like a new deadline though for concentrating the mind :)

The quilt came about when I was looking for something to do with an embroidered linen panel that I had made using embroidery motifs from Sublime Stitching by Jenny Hart. A lucky win in a Fat Quarter Shop giveaway and one FQ bundle of Riley Blake's Sunny Happy Skies fabric line later and the plan for a lap quilt was hatched.

The embroidered panel was given an inner border of the multicoloured stripe from the line and then an outer border of 6" friendship stars was added. I managed to use nearly all of the fabrics in the line, the only exceptions being three FQ's of cute pandas,  which weren't really appropriate for a senior citizen!

I decided to bite the bullet and have another go at FMQ'ing with this quilt, so the centre panel and the striped border were quilted with a loopy meander.

I am not saying it is perfect but I did discover that playing Cd's that I can sing along to are a vital part of my quilting experience. it means I remember to breathe! An ABBA Gold CD was particularly successful, just the right tempo for consistent stitching :)

This is also the first of my finishes for Q1 in the Finish a Long (see here for my original post).

she can quilt


Don't forget that next Friday, January 25th is the first linky party for

your chance to let us know what you have tried that is New to You this month! I am really looking forward to finding some new activities to try. Check out this post if you want to know more!

Now it is your turn to link up your recent finishes. Be sure to include a link back to here in your post, you can grab the button from above or the sidebar.  As ever, take some time to look at other links and maybe leave a comment or two. It will brighten up someones day!








27 comments:

  1. Quilting to music is a good tip - I always forget to breathe too! I also forget to move my shoulders so when I've finished I end up hunched over for a while before my ageing body straightens itself out.

    This is such a lovely little quilt - it all goes together beautifully. What an excellent January finish - well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! The embroidery is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, Abba Gold you say? ;o)

    Well done for getting to the end :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky Mum!!! Your quilt is beautiful, Fiona!!! I'll remember to dig out the ABBA cds when I make my next quilt... LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic finish Fiona! Love Abba too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More close ups of your embroidery please Fiona! I love tea and tea cups and teapots. And I have to agree about the merits of music when FMQing. Voulez Vous?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on a great finish! Your quilt looks just beautiful! Nice work on the FMQ!!

    Unfortunately no finish for me to link up this week but I did enjoy reading about yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet finish! And I love to sing along while sewing, I'll have to remember to do it when I start FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty quilt and well done on the FMQ it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the embroidery! A fabulous gift for your mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really gorgeous - I love the colours and the embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt is such a beauty. The combination of embroidery, lovely fabrics and fmq is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a gorgeous quilt! You did a fantastic job. Your mum will be very pleased with her gift.
    Unfortuately no finishes for me this Friday. I'll settle with admiring what others did this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The music is a great tip - though I'd have to make sure the house was empty before I started singing!! I need to take the leap and try out some FMQ too, I've bought the foot for it and all! Thanks for hosting TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find that the more I practice the better I get. And yet it is the same every time. I just started a new project and don't know what to do with the FMQ. I'm going to try the music thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab quilt. I'll try the singing next time I'll quilt, lol. Not sure if my family will be happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I should have also said that I love the colours you chose, and your embroidery is really sweet! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an awesome quilt and gift for your Mother! I love the stars, and the pretty colors. She'll treasure it!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful way to showcase your beautiful embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bet your mum loved this :) And haha! I've got to try ABBA next time I'm at my FMQ table. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - the linky closed early!! Lots of great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. No finish for me this week, but I see a fantastic set of finishes here already! What tiny stitches you added to your own, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I dont have anything to share this week but I am impressed with you FMQ and love the embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What lovely stitching! I'm sure she will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super quilt - only just found you, here in blogland! I'll be back, definitely for a link up - hopefully. I love quilting to music too - I listen to classicfm and I reckon a good waltz is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...