Friday 31 August 2012

The countdown begins!

With holidays and the like ticking things off my to-do list has been a bit hit and miss this month, but I am delighted to report that I have managed to sneak in under the wire with my project for August for the 12 WIP's in 2012. For some reason I decided that August with temperatures of 35degrees+ was the perfect month to finish a Christmas project. No, I don't quite understand my thought process either! Still, I am delighted to have finished the Countdown to Santa mini quilts, which have been on my to-do list since I bought the Nancy Halvorsen pattern book many moons ago.

It was a bit bizarre sewing Santa figures in blazing sunshine but then I guess that is not unusual for quilters Down Under! I have had the pattern and the material for these mini quilts for several years and every December 1st realise that it is too late to do anything about it for yet another year, but not this year. I have lots of Christmas fabrics winging their way to me from the Christmas in July 10" Charm Swap so who knows I might even get another set made for my son and daughter-in-law before Decemeber 1st this year. I am not promising anything though, just in case :)

The stand for the quilts and buttons for the Santa quilt have been on order from the US for nearly a month, but haven't turned up yet. Fingers crossed that they too will make it before December 1st, or I will be really miffed!

I can't complain about the PO however, as my bag of scrappy goodness from Grammie Q's giveaway arrived whilst I was on holiday so I picked it up today.


I can see a happy hour ahead sorting these scraps into my ziplock colour bags. I have already spied several triangular scraps in there that will be ideal for the Up, up and Away quilt in the Sunday Morning Quilts book that I would love to do someday. The quilt is based upon corner square triangles and needs some astronomical amount of triangles, so it will be a while before I get to starting it but every little helps as they say.

This was not the only goodness winging my way recently as I was also the lucky winner of Celtic Fusion Fabric's recent giveaway so found a bundle of Scandinavian goodness in my postbox.

Gwen has some great fabric bundles she calls cloth stacks too, so I couldn't resist popping a couple of the Simply Citrus bundles in my basket. Forgot to take a photo of them but you can see what tempted me at the link above.

It has been a while but it is nice to have a finish to link up with at  TGIFF , Can I get a Whoop-Whoop , Little Quilt Monday and Manic Monday.

Don't forget to link up your paper pieced projects at Quiet Play's PPP Blog Hop link party  there are some great prizes up for grabs.

If you haven't already check out this week's bloggers on the Let's get Acquainted Blog Hop at

Aug 28
        Lucy from Charm About You
        Ella from throw a wench in the works
Aug 30
       Elaine from Dashasel Sews
       Jess from The Elven Garden

Have a great weekend

P.S. That is the number of days left before the bearded gentleman arrives! 

16 comments:

  1. The santa quilt is adorable, and I hope you receive your items soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fun and Christmas will be here before we know it! Boy do I have a lot to do before then :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it seems to come round quicker every year!

      Delete
  3. I don't like calendars staring at me. Too much pressure! Yours however I could handle ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roll on Christmas! Love that Scandi fabric you lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO!!! I don't want to know that Christmas is approaching!!! Every year I say I'll be organised and every year I leave it till the last minute. Well done on finishing your mini quilts. Gorgeous Scandinavian fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, yup, us Aussie quilters are very used to Santa in the sun! Although being in Japan this year, we finally get a cold Christmas! I'll be making an Advent calendar soon - finally! Kinda like you, keep thinking I should, but never doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What?! Only 116 days until Christmas? I better get a move on. :) Your project is so fun and makes a great holiday decor item.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advent calendar ... just not sure I can think about Christmas yet though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can happily ignore it for a while longer now that this is done and dusted!

      Delete
  9. What do you mean? It's always hot at Christmas. ;)

    Hehehe. Great finish. Awesome that you are still on track with your 12 WIPs. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that Advent calendar - very cute!

    Quite used to the hot weather for Christmas here - although we still have fake snow, and winter themed decorations (and sometimes even a hot lunch on Christmas day in 30+ degree weather! Can't shake off those old English traditions ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made the same Countdown to Christmas a couple of years ago and it is one of my favorites decorations!!! Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you getting a jump on your Christmas decorations!!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on meeting your goal AND on getting a Christmas project all done. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...