Monday 13 February 2012

Post and piecing

With the next block in the Sew Happy QAL surfacing early and snow forecast, the weekend seemed an ideal opportunity to get ahead of myself. The Saturday post brought good news too, my Orange and Green Terrain bundle from Sew Fresh Fabrics, so a chance to get started on an orange cushion for my rainbow cushions. As ever I was impressed with the service from Sew Fresh Fabrics, the order was made on January 31st, sent out the same day and arrived 11 days later, that is amazing for post to here. The fresh, zingy colours were a welcome hint of spring on a grey winters day.



I have been looking through my magazines for inspiration for the next cushion as I want to try out new (to me) techniques for each one. I really would like to try paper-piecing, but I am waiting to try my hand at the paper pieced block in the Sew Happy QAL first. Only two more weeks to wait I think, so these lovely fabrics will just have to sit there for a little longer.


This weeks QAL block involves more of what is rapidly becoming my favourite block, flying geese. That is not to say that I am so proficient at them, but I just love how putting together squares and rectangles produces such a great block! This time they were much smaller, 2.5ins, so the capacity for a disaster was undoubtedly magnified. Given my problems in the previous post with mitred corners, any hint of potential disaster was enough to make me nervous. I shouldn't have worried, as always Jenna's instructions were spot-on and the block came together surprisingly quickly. Unfortunately quickly enough to give me time to witness another Scotland rugby defeat, but then I should be used to that by now!



With 9 blocks completed this quilt is really beginning to take shape and as I will be back in the UK for a week next month, I am trying to work out if I can somehow complete it then so that I can give it to my son and daughter-in-law whilst I am at home. I think that probably means I need to start the sashing now, so another fabric order is on the cards. Isn't life tough :)



Hope you had a good weekend too!

15 comments:

  1. I love receiving fabric in the mail. Often, I forget I've ordered it and it's a nice surprise when it arrives. Love the way the reds stand out with the greens and greys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I know what you mean about forgetting what you have ordered too, I like surprises like that!

      Delete
  2. Love the orange and green fabrics .. some of my favourite colours. And your quilt oops fantastic, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona the fabrics look even better in real life than they do in photos!

      Delete
  3. Yummy fabrics! I'd missed the latest block being posted, but yours looks fab! I also got to watch the Scotland defeat, oh, and the Ireland non-match lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting fabric in the mail....Oh and bee blocks too!
    Your blocks are looking fabulous together. What color are you planning for the sashing? I need to get caught up on my Sew Happy blocks ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am torn between a plain red or a plain turquoise as I have them both to hand! The end decision might rest on what I have enough of.

      Delete
  5. I love your fabric choices, and your blocks look beautiful pieced !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath I cannot take the full credit for the fabric choices as I bought a fabric bundle from The Intrepid Thread for the greys and turquoises and supplemented it with the red leaves which I bought when I was in the UK at Christmas. So most of the credit belongs to Julia at The Intrepid Thread!

      Delete
  6. Those look amazing. Love the diffident blocks. I started on a sampler quilt for my girl and sadly have not gotten back to it those make me want to restart.

    http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
    Stop by for my quilt givaway to guess my babys b-day and weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I am really enjoying this sampler QAL, like you it makes me want to do more!

      Delete
  7. hehe :D Too bad - it's so sad you have to shop. ::sigh:: If you *must*! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks are looking great!
    I love ordering from Sew Fresh Fabrics! The last time I ordered, I put in an order elsewhere the same day...the SFF package arrived in 7 days & the other wasn't even shipped for 10 days, taking another 8 business days to get here. Really makes you appreciate the quick shippers!
    My first go at paper piecing was when I followed along with the Summer Sampler at Fresh Lemons...she made it really easy to figure out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving your quilt blocks. All the blocks together look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have been bloging for about a month to

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...